The end of one year and the beginning of the next
An assortment of news items to close out 2006 and begin 2007:
- According to at least some sets of statistics, the number of murders in 2006 was exactly the same as the number in 2005 -- 3761 -- an average of more than 10 per day. 101 people were murdered between December 23 and January 1 to close out the year.
- Tony Saca has proclaimed that 2007 will be the "Year of Social Peace."
- 14,328 Salvadorans were deported from the US during 2006, twice the level of the preceding year. 120 arrived today as the first deportees of the new year.
- A string of earthquakes which began in early December in the western part of the country, continues to rumble, with hundreds of homes being damaged. The quakes have reached as high as 5 on the Richter scale.
- La Prensa published a gallery of its best photos from 2006, and El Faro had a 2006 photo gallery of its own.
- The first baby of 2007 born in El Salvador was named Priscila Abigail, the new daughter of Yancy Rosibel Rodríguez.
The ARENA government has been astonishingly incompetent in curving crime (not really, they've always been incompetent) that I'm pesimistic about any quick change. Specially with the same ol' same ol' faces at the helm... (Figueroa and Avila). Well at least now we now the catchy phrase for 2007, "Year of Social Peace". Last year's was "Un pais unido tiene sentido".
Con Paquito comemos Poquito.
Con Saca comemos Caca.