Guns in El Salvador
In a blog post titled Armed to the Teeth in El Salvador, Michael Allison quotes statistics about firearms in El Salvador, originally reported in ContraPunto:
- More than 75% of the country's homicides are committed with firearms.
- Every 3 hours someone is killed with a firearm.
- It is estimated that about 500,000 weapons, legalized or not, are held by the public.
- More than 57% of the fatalities are people aged 15 to 29 years of age.
- Since the end of the war in 1992, El Salvador became the 7th largest importer of weapons worldwide whose main market is the United States.